My kids are gonna flip when they see what I made for them today! They freak out over this yummy snack mix- it is so easy and I change it up with the add-ins, like today for the Chocolate Lover’s version of this classic Puppy Chow Snack Mix- also known as Muddy Buddy Mix- though I call an ice cream thingy a muddy-buddy, so to me this is always Puppy Chow Mix!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Imperial Sugar where I received product or compensation to facilitate this post.. See my full disclosure page.
Either way, I know you’ve had it, but maybe never made it. Let today be the day you decide to try this- it is so easy! Did I say that already? It is! Now…I have friends with kids that need gluten-fee or peanut-free- this is so adaptable to that!
For allergy substitutions, you can:
- Substitute soy-nut, sunflower, or cookie butter for the peanut butter
- Use peanut or dairy-free chocolate chips
- Use the gluten-free cereal (most rice & corn are already, but certified gluten-free is available!)
See? You can have your Puppy Chow and eat it too! Joy!
Chocolate Lover’s Puppy Chow Snack Mix
Adapted from the Chex website recipe
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar (I use Imperial Powdered Sugar)
1/2 cup of baking cocoa
9 cups of any combination of rice, corn or wheat squares cereals (like Chex)
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup (4 TBSP.) of butter
1/2 cup of peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1 TBSP. pure vanilla extract
Optional toppers: candy coated chocolate candy (like M&M’s), chocolate sprinkles
One 2 gallon zip-top storage bag
parchment or wax paper
What you do:
- Prepare a rimmed sheet pan, by lining with wax or parchment paper. Set aside.
Prepare a zip-top storage bag. Unzip and add in the 1 1/2 cups of Imperial Powdered Sugar and your 1/2 cup of cocoa. Mix together and set aside.
- In a small pan, on low heat, slowly melt the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter until smooth when stirred. Turn off the heat. Add the vanilla. Stir.
- Using a rubber spatula, spoon the chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir until coated.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared storage bag and close.
- Shake until totally coated.
- Spread out on the prepared pan. Shake on the optional items: sprinkles and candy.
- Let cool. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
It’s kind of messy, but it comes together super easily!
You won’t believe how easy this is. I know- it’s just cereal and peanut butter and sugar…but chocolate. Yes. It works-
I hope you enjoy!
If you are looking for some more awesome chocolate recipes read on!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Imperial Sugar where I received product or compensation to facilitate this post.. See my full disclosure page. Sweet things happen when families are together in the kitchen. Since 1843, Imperial Sugar has been at the heart of family traditions and celebrations. This holiday season, create some lifelong memories when you bake with love and Imperial Sugar.
Enter to win our #Choctoberfest prize pack!
This prize pack is valued at over $450! To enter, simply follow participating sponsors and bloggers using the below giveaway widget.