Ruge-wha?! Say it like this: “Rug-e-lah.” Don’t be put off by the name- These little lovelies are awesome!
If you are a Rugelach novice, here’s what you need to know:
- It’s a cream cheese dough smothered with a yummy filling (cho-co-late!) and then rolled into a half-moon shaped crescent, and baked to cookie perfection. The sweet of the chocolate is balanced by the not-too-sweet dough, that is like eating a little bite if pie. There I said it. These are like pie cookies.
- It’s super easy. And you can change up the filling to your heart’s desire… Just like pie.
- It’s a great cookie to freeze and make ahead for whenever you want a beautiful and delicious treat!
Now, I have lots of recipes for Rugelach from my favorite cookbooks: Ina Garten, Joan Nathan, and Martha Stewart- all have a cinnamon-sugar or fruit filling. But I wanted chocolate. Of course. So I used their recipes as inspiration, and came up with this one, which I think you will love- that is of course, if you love chocolate.
Let’s see how this goes:
Spread the yummy filling all over the dough:
Roll these 16 pieces up:
And finally, bake for 20 minutes until they are so pretty!
These are so, so good!
Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly food fest, where a group of bloggers all create and share a recipe around one of the monthly food ‘holidays’ as detailed in The Nibble. This month Kathleen from Fearlessly Creative Mammas is hosting and since chocolate day is October 28th, Chocolate is our theme. There are actually two other days that incorporate chocolate in October, the 14th is Chocolate Covered Insect Day and the 18th is Chocolate Cupcake day. We didn’t want to get to specific though, so we will just say chocolate!
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
Now, check out these great chocolate submissions!
- Holy Mole Pork Stew from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Triple Chocolate and Cream Trifle from Fearlessly Creative Mammas
- 2 Kiss Cupcakes from Sneha’s Recipe
- Chocolate Lovers Dream Cake from Cookin and Craftin
- Kahlua Chocolate Cake from Making Miracles
- Queen Anne Squares from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Hot Fudge Cheesecake Brownies from Cookaholic Wife
- Nutty Chocolate Fudge from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Blintzes from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Chicken Mole from Caroline’s Cooking
- Simple Chocolate Cake from Passion Kneaded
- Chocolate Rugelach from Hardly a Goddess
- Crispy Chocolate Surprise Balls from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Marshmallow Turtle Bars from Food Lust People Love
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffinsfrom Not Too Shabby Gabby