I don’t know about you, but with every kid that I gave birth to, I got a bit stupider. See? Is stupider even a word? Yes, I think it is. I definitely got stupider.
So now, I try to eat kale and blueberries, and play Scrabble to win back those brain cells that time stole from me, and still continues to do so, every minute that I play Barbies or the match-game with my little ones. (Sigh). I resolve to read more big-people books in 2015. But since I don’t love resolutions (see below list) I thought filling out a standard set of questions about where I am in my life would give me back some of those missing memories from year to year.
I got this list from another blogger, who credits it as unknown but attributes to this gal(Megan), and please don’t ask me who she is because, I don’t know, but I really liked her list for summing up the past year… and if you are so inclined, make your own list working from mine as I did from hers!
- What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Had two sleepover birthday parties at my house- on purpose. Ran a half marathon, and then a full marathon. Celebrated 10 years of being married. Started a blog. Actually two. Made homemade Bailey’s. A ColorRun.
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?I am not sure that I made any concrete resolutions, as my tendency is to break any plans that I try to make for myself…so goals for me are good, but loosely made, so that I am kind to myself and not beating myself up for not making them. A case in point for this is that I never planned to run a marathon. I laugh that it was a bucket list item. But I don’t have a bucket list. Is that the next thing? I have made a loose list in several areas of my life, so yes to this question.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
No! But lots of my besties had babies the year before, now I see how nice this list will be for my memory next year (if I remember to look at it again)!
- Did anyone close to you die?
Not in 2014. December of 2013, however, colored the rest of the 2014 year’s days in a new light with the passing of one of my most favorite people in my own life and my family’s. Love and heaven and spiritual-teaching for my children and myself were a major part of 2014. Put this one in question number one too. A terrible first.
- What countries did you visit?
Ummm. The United States? Our passports have both expired. Goal for next year, then?!
- What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
The ability to keep myself organized, productive, and happy all at once. Possible?
- What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 20, 2013: see question 4. February 7: see question 1.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Running a marathon.
- What was your biggest failure?
Too little patience and too much yelling. (Getting real here). My house is loud. I don’t know if everyone else, except me is hard of hearing…they may actually be…but I yell far too often for my own taste. Frankly, I am sick of my own voice.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, thank you g-d!(knock wood).
- What was the best thing you bought?
Preschool for my boys.
- Whose behavior merited celebration?
My family. Grace with such a big loss and sadness. Lessons learned for me, truly.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Thankfully, no one personally…just generally people on the Bravo Channel, that I unfortunately cannot stop watching…erg.
- Where did most of your money go?
Preschool for my boys. And food. G-d help me when they are teenagers! Wholly $&@#!
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Do I get excited? Maybe “dance, dance revolution” on my neighbor’s Wii? Maybe that is depressing…will have to work on that one.
- What song will always remind you of 2014?
“Happy”- love it!
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
a. Happier b. The same hibernation weight c. the same
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading!!! And then, also, returning the books that I did read on time to the library. That too.
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Watching tv. Bravo particularly.
- How did you spend Christmas-Hannukah( this one I changed for me)?
Our Christmas is a many-fold thing. Hannukkah first was nice but we don’t have presents, just do the candles for me. Christmas is all about the kids at our house in the morning, then we do my husband’s family (the older crowd) for dinner. The next day we went to see my family for a visit, and now will do the rest of our family (younger crowd) this weekend. It goes on, but we love it- it gives us a reason to keep the tree up, and the magic going for a bit.
- What was your favorite TV program?
Homeland of courses till rocks our world, The Affair on Showtime is pretty cool if you get past hating all the characters, Blackish is my new sitcom go-to, Amazing Race is fun and so is Last Comic Standing…why does no one watch this? Hysterical! …and see? I watch way too much tv!
- What was the best book you read?
Ummm.i will get back to you!
- What did you want and get?
A down vest, a comfy cardigan, hugs and kisses, awww!
- What did you want and not get?
Now, this is just for Christmas….but, next year I am asking for wrinkle cream, because if one more person, says that I look tired….
- What was your favorite film of this year?
I never go out to see one, nor would I remember the name, if I did, but now I get that I should either keep a ton of lists of favorite things throughout the year, or else, just journal, or something to keep track….I just saw, Mud, with Matthew McConahegh. He is hot but gross-looking in this movie. Also, it was on Netflix forever, so I thought it would be terrible. But, surprisingly, it was good. The characters were interesting and not predictable. Thoughtful writing. Definitely see, but my not favorite.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Dinner and cake at home with my family. Love this. Officially IN my fourties now. By one year.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
White interior trim in my house. It is a personal thing, but I would really like it white. It bugs me that it is not.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
- What kept you sane?
My friends who have known me since, well birth almost, getting together every year. My friends who have known me since, well, not birth, who make my life fun and easier in so many ways. New friends to make. The health of my family.
- Who was the best new person you met?
My job share at work, and her temporary maternity replacement. They remind me why I am so lucky to have my day job.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
To nurture all of my relationships. I have always been aware, but it is always good to reawaken this wisdom. Being real and honest and decidedly ME in all my lives…
Now on to figuring out #22 re: Best Books I read in 2014!