Welcome to another Food Fight! Fantastical Food Fight is a group of food bloggers who will get a theme or ingredient each month and make some sort of variation for it. It could be traditional or nontraditional and can be found in a cookbook, on a blog, or be a blogger’s own creation! For more details, check out this page.
This week’s theme is Oatmeal! What better way to join in than to include this healthified oatmeal recipe that I love since it’s:
- Easy: Mix, Pour, let it sit. Seriously this easy!
- Versatile: you can add anything in here, chocolate, peanut butter, nuts, different fruits, spices…it is super adaptable!
- Healthy: Oats, milk, fruit, and optional add-ins with the chia, flax seed, greek yogurt
- Fast: This is a perfect fix-it-and-forget-it type of meal. Make the night before and you have a great breakfast ready to go!
- Portable: For those of us that may work outside the house…this just pops in the bag in the morning, and you can eat it once you get to work! Or…if you are on the go constantly, this will sit nicely in the car until you need a balanced meal.
…right now being in the midst of trying to eat super healthy and make sure every meal is a balance of complex carbs+protein+fat, this recipe is a great way to keep to this challenge and I love that this recipe does it all!
Easy Strawberry Overnight Oats
Here’s the base:
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1/2 mashed banana
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup low-fat plain greek yogurt
1 tsp. chia seeds
1 tsp. ground flax seed
Strawberry Flavor Add-ins:
Handful of freeze-dried strawberries (about 1/8 cup)
4-5 frozen or fresh strawberries (no sugar added), cut into pieces
In a small bowl, mix everything but the fruit together. Crush the freeze-dried strawberries and mix in.
Put the fresh strawberries into the bottom of a mason jar, and the oatmeal mixture on top. Let it sit for the night until the next day.
You can enjoy it early morning cold…or like a normal person, you can heat it up. I microwave mine (without the lid) for 30-60 seconds. If it seems too dry, add a bit more milk. Enjoy!
P.S. I may or may not enjoy this with a tablespoon of peanut butter on top…for the PB&J thing. Or if I want sweet, I will mix in a spoonful of strawberry jam to get it super sweet and just a little bit more delicious!
P.P.S. If you don’t have a mason jar, just keep it all in a bowl, covered in plastic wrap.
Check out all these other FoodFighters!
Linking up with WildWorkout Wednesdays too!