Between long car rides to see family for Christmas or Hannukah, and the long two week holiday from most public schools in the Northeast, we need some inspiration around here for some fun and games when we are away from home (and all those fun toys we got)- and
trapped in a car with 5 other people- 4 of whom are not adults. Oh, help me!
Some of the ideas that I have had some luck with keeping the kids busy and happy for the car rides in the past are:
- A metal lunch box and magnetic letters
- A lunch box with legos inside
- A bathroom over-the-door organizer filled with crayons/pencils/paper
- Magnetic doll kits
- Car BINGO games
- Books, iPad, Barbies
- Pencil Box with playing cards
I am also rounding up some of the best ideas that I have seen from around the BlogWorld. Visit their blogs for the details but here are 5:
Questions for kids from The Measured Mom Blog
2. Car Tricks & Hacks for Families from Kids Activities Blog
3. 25 Tips and Tricks for little kids on car rides at Take Off With Kids Blog
4. 15 Best Road Trip Games for any age from Mrs. Fields Site (the cookie lady!)
Has games I’ve never heard like: Nifty or the Casserole Game
5. Puzzles with Magnets (Genius!) at My Kind of Makeover Blog
She adds magnets to crayons, stickers and has other great travel ideas here.
Do you have any great ideas? I am not sure all these will be ones that we do- considering that some of them look like a lot of work! But I am very open to all new ideas that WORK to keep little ones from asking the dreaded question, “mom? How much longer, mom?”
Happy mom, happy kids. Happy kids, happy mom!
Please leave me a comment and a link to the idea if you have one!