Hello my friends, I am sharing one of our favorite meals with you- and I know you know this one: Taco Tuesday! Except it’s Sunday. Yes, well. This is Hardly A Goddess after all, and I do enjoy my imperfections around here! So here we are enjoying tacos and any day we please like crazy people. And if you want even more recipes for your own Taco Tuesday (or any day!), the Sunday Supper bloggers have some great ideas- which are at the end of the post. Without further ado…
It’s Taco Tuesday… on a Sunday and this is how I Roll:
I lay it all out there: sour-cream or full fat, plain greek yogurt, shredded lettuce, chopped jalapeños, cheese, tomatoes, salsa, scallions or cilantro. I put it in the middle of the table and let everyone have their choice of toppings.
Crunchy or Soft
If they don’t eat anything else, my kids will eat crunchy taco shells filled with white rice. I heat them for 5 minutes in the oven at 375* just to get them crispy. The soft ones, are for 3 out of 6 of us- I heat those too in the microwave for 30 seconds. Done. We love options. Not one kid eats like another. It is so challenging and amazing.
Extending the Meat
Again, only half of us eat the meat, but it can go fast if we’re hungry. I brown the meat, add the taco seasoning (my homemade recipe), add 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of salsa. And here’s my secret… I extend one pound of meat with one can of refried beans. I like the vegetarian kind so there is no extra lard or weird stuff. It taste super yum and adds a creamy texture to the whole mix while doubling the “meat” that I am serving.
Offering Options: veggie sticks, rice
Since it is a dinner that my kids like but don’t all love- I usually give them carrots, and veggie sticks and yogurt on the side. The kids who don’t eat meat- three of them!- put rice in the crunchy shell and that is their “taco.” It is still the meal.
Taco Tuesday admittedly sometimes falls on Thursday…Or a Sunday like today, but it’s an easy meal and one that we can eat together at the table, which we all enjoy. It isn’t always that we eat the exact same way or the same foods, but we are able to sit and enjoy a meal without tears or struggle and I feel like my pickiest of eaters has tried the meal, as she eats the taco shell and some cheese. Baby Steps. Here’s the recipe for my tacos:
Taco Tuesday: An Easy Family Meal
What you need:
1 pound ground meat
1 can refried beans
3-4 Tbsp.Taco Seasoning or one packet of store-bought
1/4 cup Salsa
1/4 cup Water
*For serving you’ll need: hard and soft taco shells, lettuce, tomatoes, pickled jalapeno, salsa, cheese, and sour cream.
What to do:
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown the meat over medium heat.
- Add the taco seasoning. Stir until mixed.
- Add 1/4 cup each of salsa and water. Stir to combine.
- Add the beans. Continue to simmer, for about 10-15 minutes(see note*), adding up to a can of water as it cooks.
- Remove from heat and into a heat-proof bowl.
- Serve with hard or soft taco shells and lettuce, tomatoes, pickled jalapeno, salsa, cheese, sour cream as condiments on the side.
*(note): I make my rice which I serve with this, according to package directions, as the meat is simmering for the 15 minutes. It usually takes about 20 minutes, which works perfectly with getting it all on the table.
For even MORE easy Taco recipes, check out the Sunday Supper Bloggers:
Easy Taco Recipes #SundaySupper
Breakfast, Dessert, and Alternative Tacos
- Jalapeno Cornbread Taco Pie by Soulfully Made
- Loaded Taco Tots by Gourmet Everyday
- Naked Egg Breakfast Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Spicy Beef Cheesy Corn Taco Muffins by Food Lust People Love
- Veggie Packed Mouth-Watering Cauliflower Breakfast Tostadas by Bites of Wellness
Lunch and Dinner Tacos
- 1970s Style Tacos by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asian-Spiced Black Cod Tacos with Kimchi and Avocado-Sriracha Mayo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by A Mind Full Mom
- Chorizo Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cinnamon Beef Tacos by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Fish Taco Recipe by Sunday Supper Movement
- Healthy Ground Turkey Tacos by Mid-Life Croissant
- It’s Taco Tuesday: An Easy Family Meal by Hardly A Goddess
- Low Carb Beef Tacos by Our Good Life
- Salmon Tacos with Watermelon Pico de Gallo by Pies and Plots
- Sloppy Joe Tacos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork Tacos with Cabbage Slaw by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Korean BBQ Tacos by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Tacos with Chimichurri Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Surf and Turf Tacos by The Weekend Gourmet
- Walking Chili Cheese Tacos by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.