I love lemon anything. I also happen to have zucchini in my house all the time, since I have a few kids that will only eat it stuffed into this zucchini chocolate bread! But to be honest, I, the momma, needed a change! I found a great recipe for this lemon zucchini bread by Mandy’s Recipe Box blog, and made a few changes to suit my tastes and it turned out perfectly delicious- so moist and the glaze was amazing, so don’t leave that part off when you make it!
Seriously. We all fight over the end-cut. Just look at this:
Here are my changes to an already good recipe:
- Cut the oil from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup, substituting applesauce
- Replaced the sour cream with healthier yogurt
- Added 1/2 teaspoon of salt, as I find kosher salt needs a bit more for taste
- Added a bit of cooking time – mine took 55 minutes
Lemon Zucchini Bread
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup finely shredded zucchini
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
For the glaze:
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350*, and spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, and using a large spoon, mix the sugar, zest, oil, applesauce, eggs, yogurt and juice until combined and there are no lumps (about 1 minute). This is your wet mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to the wet mixture. Stir until combined.
- Using a scraper, pour this into your prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes at 350*.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Stand it on it’s side in the pan for another 5 minutes (this is my trick that works great!) Sliding your knife around the edges, remove the loaf from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Make the glaze: In a small bowl whisk the sugar and juice until combined and without clumps (if it’s too thick you can add more lemon juice).
- Spread over the top of the bread while it cools, and let it set. Serve by cutting into slices when ready!
Enjoy! *this is definitely a new favorite*!