So every year we vacation with another family to a house, where we all share dinners for 7 nights. It has been a few years of trial and error(s) and this is how we make it work:
I shop for 2 dinners. The other mom shops for 2 dinners. The other 3 of the 7 nights are a mix of left-overs, dinners out and maybe we pick up food on vacation or go out again! It works for us. I used to make way more food to bring to vacation and make it there…and I never felt like I had a vacation. No more. Now, I always feel like I get to have a week of fun too.
We split up all the shopping since we live together for a week and our kids and their kids will basically being eating from the same refrigerator and wanting the other person’s cereal…we just all share food- we buy half, and they buy half. Easy right? It’s like splitting the bill when you eat out will a bunch of people- you just split it evenly- and don’t worry about either the extras or the less-than amounts…I feel like it all comes out in the end.
So where’s the planning? Well, here’s what we do:
- First, we decide how much food we need: This trip, we’d pack enough for 7 days and plan for 7 dinners.
- Make a list of breakfast, lunch and dinner things that we thought to put on our list that our family would eat. Email it to the other person.
- Cross off duplicated items from the other person’s list.
- Go over dinners we think everyone will like-and decide on the planned dinners that we will make- kids included. Then we decide who buys for what dinners- In our case this year, each of us buying everything that we’d need for the two dinners we each will do.
- Divvy up who buys what, trying to keep the two shopping list costs even.
- Make a list of things that both of us will buy, ie. water, beer, paper goods, snacks.
That is it. Well, now I go shopping and if I can pre-cook or prep-cook anything, I will do that the week before so I get that much more of a break the week of vacation…because I am not willing to leave the beach early (especially as I love love love the later-afternoon hours on the beach) just to prep dinner…sorry my children, we will eat out before I will do that this week!
This is my meal plan for the week before vacation, remembering to keep it simple so I can shop for the week ahead, while still making dinners for this week…oy!:
August 10th – August 17th
- Sticky Garlic Chicken & Broccoli– never made this, but it looks simple, fast, and most importantly YUM! Serve with jasmine rice, and…well…broccoli.
- Homemade pizzas
- Meatloaf, potatoes, veg.
- Grilled pesto chicken and tomato kabobs, freekeh, veg.
- Prep: Whole Chicken in the crockpot & pull
- Prep: Taco Meat- x2
I have to admit I got my ideas from Pinterest Boards that I am completely reliant upon in wake of brain-fryedness (it is a word). Here’s my recent fave:
And of course, I am linked up with OrgJunkie for even more great ideas! I am sharing not one but TWO recipes this week for your summer eating…and one fun giveaway too! So stay tuned and come back to visit this week!