This is starting to be my favorite type of post. When someone picks a theme and I get to play along but make my own recipe based on that idea. This month’s Soup Swappers theme is Root Vegetables.
I made this Sweet Potato Corn Chowder, since I love corn chowder, and make it all the time. Just switching up the potato for sweet potato made a nice difference! Guess what? The sweet potato is sweet! It adds a really nice balance to the rich little bites of bacon that I put in here. And if this doesn’t float your particular boat, there are lots more recipes for Root Vegetable Soups at the end of the post too.
Sweet Potato Corn Chowder #SoupSwappers
This is such a great and fast soup to make for a rainy day or to have for the weekend.
- 4-5 slices bacon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups frozen corn nibblets
- 1 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup low fat milk
- In a saute pan, cook the bacon, until crispy. Set aside. Cool and then crumble.
- While this cooks, get a large soup pot, add the oil and heat to medium.
- Add your celery, carrot and onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and corn. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a glass jar with a lid, add the flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk (and lid). Shake the jar until totally combined. Pour into the broth. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon crumbles and serve!
*Garnish with chopped parsley to brighten up the color and add a fresh taste.
Please attribute this recipe: Show it came from hardlyagoddess.com
Come check out all the other soups featured at #SoupSwappers this month!