Do you love cauliflower? I love it as an alternative to potatoes if I am trying to keep my carbs down. I roast them as a side dish at least once a week with broccoli or other veggies- Today the Sunday Supper bloggers are sharing their best cauliflower recipes to tempt us with plenty of ideas for making this healthy veggie. Thanks to Caroline from Caroline’s Cooking for hosting today’s great lineup for us! I decided to make soup, since I am sort of in soup-mode with my Weeknight Chicken Soup from yesterday and on Thursday I made my favorite Beef Stew. I am freezer-stocked and ready for the cold weather!
This cheesy cauliflower soup is so comforting and cheesy, but lower in carbs than my Baked Potato Soup. It has the same, creamy and delicious flavor though, is totally vegetarian for Meatless Monday, and is simple enough that you can make it in 30 minutes!
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
2 celery stalks
1/2 a shallot, diced fine
1/2 head of fresh cauliflower, separated into small chunks
1 carton (32oz) vegetable broth
1/3 cup flour
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. of italian seasoning (or choice of oregano, thyme or basil)
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
3 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
What you do:
- Chop the onion, carrots, and celery to small bite sized pieces. In a large pot, heat 1 Tbsp. oil to medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and shallot and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets. Continue to cook for 4 minutes more.
- Add the vegetable broth and cover continuing to cook for 15 minutes until the carrots and cauliflower are very soft.
- Using your immersion blender or regular blender (in batches, be careful!) rough puree the soup. (Add back to the pot, if you removed it).
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and seasonings. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture to this until it’s smooth. Add this to the soup and let it simmer until the soup gets thick- about 5-6 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the cheese. Stir until melted.
Creative Cauliflower Recipes #SundaySupper
O.M.G. these recipes look amazing!
Creative Cauliflower Starters and Sides
- Bang Bang Califlower Bites by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cauliflower Bacon Gratin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Rice Cheesy Bread Sticks by The Freshman Cook
- Crispy Oven-Fried Cauliflower by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- German Cauliflower Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Loaded Smashed Cauliflower Bites by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Roasted Bacon Tomato Cauliflower by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Nachos by Simple and Savory
Make My Cauliflower a Main Dish
- Cheesy Cauliflower Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Low-Carb Cauliflower Rice Pilaf With Ground Beef & Cabbage by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Oven Baked Honey Soy Sesame Cauliflower by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Roasted Cauliflower and Vegetable Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Salsa Verde by Caroline’s Cooking
- Salmon with Creamy Cauliflower Farro by Cooking Chat
- Shrimp Stir Fry with Cauli Rice by Our Good LIfe
- Spicy Cauliflower Tacos by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.