Yes I did.
You know the one.
Special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun!
~ The Big Mac Jingle
Except I left off the “2- all beef patties!” I enjoy my “Big Mac” with a bean burger in the middle! Real cheddar cheese, real ingredients without a crap-ton of salt and fat! But I swear to you, both beef and bean lovers will adore this sandwich! Dare I say, it tastes just like the real deal? I do! It does. It so freaking does! I missed you, Big Mac, and now I can eat you- but better yet, I can enjoy you!
Making this ahead, is so easy if you have some bean burgers on hand, as I seem to make them in huge quantity these days myself, this makes these burgers almost too easy to put together! I took special attention to try to make this the way I would if I had a diner, and was giving you my best sammie for lunch:
Start with the bun:
Start with a great sesame seed bun- they are right in the grocery store people! Why aren’t we buying these? They are delicious!
Toast it on both sides:
See how a little butter goes a long way- a toasted bun is so much better…
Spread that “special sauce.” Common! It is special- use it liberally!
The key ingredient~
Then add your burger…Bean burger, that is! With exactly 3, not two, dill pickles and your onions.
Exactly 3 pickles, and minced onions- the onions, I think are the thing that make this taste super authentic!
Load up the iceburg shreds:
I add a lot to feel healthy- teehee!
Wow. Look what you get to eat.
This unbelievable re-creation and recipe redux of a very unhealthy burger, will send you to flavor-town! The Bean Mac is your new favorite lunch sandwich!
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1/2 (or more) bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 egg white
The Special Sauce
- 1 Tbsp 2% greek plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp light mayo
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dill pickle relish- sweet is too sweet
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 TBP French dressing
- Pinch salt
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- 5 Tbsp. minced onion
- 15-20 sandwich sliced dill pickles
- 5 slices cheese- I used thin cheddar slices- orange for authenticity!
- 5 sesame seed buns
To make the burgers
- Open and pour without draining your black beans into a large bowl. Add one egg white, 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning. Blend with immersion blender or a potato masher. Add more breadcrumbs if needed, to get a consistency that will form a patty.
- Shape 5 patties. Cook on a grill or saute pan, over medium heat, until lightly browned on both sides.
- Place one slice of cheese on each patty. Cover until melted. Remove from the pan. Set aside.
For the Sauce
- Measure and mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
Assemble your sandwich.
- On the same pan that you made your burgers, heat a bit of butter, and grill the inside of your buns a bit, to get them toasty. Remove.
- Spread the special sauce on both insides of the bun.
- Place a bean patty on the bottom half.
- On the top half, add three pickles.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of minced onion.
- Top the burger with the shredded lettuce.
- Put the top on.
- Yes. You are done. Take it all in. You can now enjoy your Bean Mac.
If you want to make some of this recipe ahead, it is super easy.
Make the burgers ahead and freeze them- you can skillet warm them or microwave in minutes.
Make the sauce up to one day ahead - it actually improves as it sits for a bit.
You can use any bean burger recipe- this is just my fastest!
Please attribute this recipe: Show it came from hardlyagoddess.com
Some of you read my posts about sharing coffee, and what we’d chat about…well,
If we were having lunch, today, I would tell you that this is my new favorite sandwich. Hands down. My husband is equally obsessed, which can be a problem! But not too much so, as it is definitely a much improved version of the ugly fast food guy. I hope you try this, and love it as much as we do- lemme know if you do. Take a pic and tag @hardlyagoddess.com!
Sharing, this week with: Full Plate Thursday, Foodie Friends Friday, Pin Junkie, Meatless Monday!