What the heck are riggies? Short for rigatoni, the barrel shaped pasta that is hearty and perfect for scooping up a thick sauce. If you have read H.A.G. before, you know that I am originally from Central New York, home of “Wicked Chicken Riggies,” of the restaurant, Pastabilities. They were featured on the Food Network for this “Wicked” recipe that includes rigatoni (the riggies), chicken and is so called “wicked” for it’s hotness…and also awesomeness in my opinion. But for this week, the week of Worldwide Vegetarian Day (!), I decided to make a twist on this “wicked” dish and serve it up, vegetarian-style. Hold on, because it is de-licious!
I kept the recipe a saute, because if you put this in the oven, it becomes a ziti. This is not that guy. This is a creamy, salty, hot, plate of hearty vegetables and chewy pasta. The ultimate comfort meal. I also tweaked the original recipe quite a bit, so if you are up for it, let’s go!
Here’s the recipe:
TaDa! A beautiful plate of comforting pasta and tons of fresh vegetables smothered in a creamy, spicy, tomato sauce. You will love how this comes together. Enjoy.
For lots of other GREAT vegetarian dishes (and by the way, who doesn’t need more great meatless ideas in their cooking arsenal?) check out the line-up from the SundaySupper folks, with special thanks to the event host: Susan Pridmore from The Wimpy Vegetarian. I know you won’t leave disappointed!
- Citrus Marinated Olives by Cricket’s Confections
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Sriracha Aioli by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind “Full”Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.